Sunday, September 20, 2009

"Do you remember that day you fell out of my window? Well, you fell on the concrete and nearly broke your ass and you were bleeding all over the place and I rushed you off to the hospital. Do you remember that? Well, there’s something I never told you about that night. While you were sitting in the backseat smoking a cigarette you thought was going to be your last, I was falling deep, deeply in love with you and I never told you ‘til just now."

Home | Edward Sharpe & the Magnetic Zeros

Chateau Gateau's "After-school special" Pb&J cupcake

Saturday morning Chateau Gateau was the very first stop of Yelp's Cupcake Crawl. I went to support and visit La as she waited for the arrival of twenty-five cupcake enthusiasts. Toui and Ginnie were also there and we all spent the morning getting ready and gossiping about the other vendors at the farmers market (so-and-so doesn't sell local produce, le gasp!). For breakfast, I had a mediocre chocolate croissant (chocolate chips, really?) and coffee that I brought from home.

By nine the farmers market was insanely packed full of people, vendors, art, freshly-squeezed orange juice and beautifully exotic (translation: over-priced) flowers. I'm not usually one for large crowds of people but the farmers market kind is tolerable, enjoyable even. Most people at the farmers market are so pleasant. Imagine, if you will, all the bright and cheery mothereffers who willingly get out of bed pre-8 AM on a weekend. Now, imagine all of them in one location-buying long-stemmed sunflowers, squeezing and sniffing the last summer peaches, and watching their children play on the plaza stage. Vendors call out to these people, luring them with their siren's cry of local produce and baked goods. Cupcakes stand like sweet little soldiers on their glass cake platter. "You know you want us," they say. Yes, yes I do.

Flickr: mine. ginnie's.

1 comment: