Thursday, May 21, 2009

There's been a lot of cake/Taboo and Tenderloin

I went from never baking cakes to baking three in the span of two weeks. It's been interesting. I have a newfound respect for cake frosters. That shit is not easy. Crumbs are the enemy. Thank goodness for Alton Brown.

To recap:

1. The first banana L4yercake.
2. Butter cake, brandied strawberries and whipped chocolate frosting.
3. Banana cake remix- the addition of coconut milk, coconut flakes and more KahlĂșa.




Yesterday I trekked to Warrenton, aka the middle of nowhere, for a potluck at Bates's house. I arrived about an hour earlier than everyone else which gave us the opportunity to walk to a field and snap some photos. I discovered that tall grass can be on the invasive side when you're wearing a dress. Bates was an incredibly good sport while my drunk on power ass ordered her about on the field. Stand there! Walk over there! Lay down in the tall grass! It was a beautiful field, complete with blue skies, green grass and the not-so-common warbling of a nearby turkey farm.

When we walked back we noticed that there was a car behind mine that hadn't been there before. It was Arien's car and Arien was nowhere to be found. As Bates went up to her front door, I noticed an Arienesque figure talking to a neighbor a few houses down. Turns out that Arien had lost her cell phone a few days back and had borrowed a neighbor's phone to call Laura (the only number she remembered) to call Bates. Womp, womp. It worked out in the end.

Dinner consisted of: Bates's pork tenderloin, Christie's salad, Arien's chicken sausage noodle casserole (sorry, Bates), TJ's rugelach, Keith's chips/dip, Laura's spinach & artichoke dip, Sara's potato salad, Zack's pistachio/cream situation and my cake. We watched Yes Man and played some Taboo. Bates called out "Back to the Future" to the clue of "I'll be back." *snort. TJ made Bates's baby sister cry when he told her to put on pants. It's not as pedophilic as it sounds. Asia the dog makes for good cuddling. Flynn the dog reminds me of Garth's dog in Wayne's World. What's that, girl? Aliens have kidnapped Wayne?! Oh, Wayne's outside. Tall people make for good hugging. Jumping barefoot takes its toll after two minutes. My water was that evening's peace pipe. Yeah you like that mint and rosemary, don't you? Iron Shannon tagged it as Minty McWaterson on the face, haha.

I stayed behind after everyone left and helped Bates clean up the dinner party aftermath. It was about one in the morning at this point. Halfway home, right when I turned onto 66, I realized that I had forgotten my water bottle. IT WAS THE FIRST TIME THAT I'VE LEFT IT ANYWHERE! The last forty minutes of the ride home was spent singing loudly/soulfully (and I'm sure tone-deaf) in an effort to forget how thirsty I was and how refreshing that mint & rosemary water would taste on my oh-so parched tongue.

No comments:

Post a Comment