Friday, May 11, 2012

early bird apple cake


I woke up at six in the morning, on my own accord, and laid in bed until I decided to a) walk/run to the gym (eight miles total, heyyy) and then b) come home and bake an apple cake (womp womp). 

adapted from Smitten Kitchen
6 apples, I used a mixture of Golden Delicious, one Red Delicious, and a Granny Smith apple that were too old to be eaten plain. It was this or apple butter. 
1 Tbsp. cinnamon
5 Tbsp. brown sugar
2 3/4 cups flour, sifted

1 tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup vegetable oil
2 cups light brown sugar
1/4 cup milk. (SK calls for orange juice but I didn't have any. Ooh! Next time I'll use Cointreau.)
2 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
4 eggs

- Preheat oven to 350. Grease a bundt (Bundkt budkt. Oh! It's a cake!) pan. 
- Chop apples into chunks (you can peel them if you like. I'm lazy.), toss with cinnamon and sugar. 
- Stir together dry ingredients (flour, baking powder, and salt) in a bowl. 
- In another bowl, whisk together oil, sugar, milk (or orange juice or Cointreau), and vanilla. Mix wet ingredients with dry mixture, then add eggs one at a time. 
- In bundt pan, alternate layers of apple and batter. I did apples first, then batter, then more apples. I do believe Smitten Kitchen started with batter but I wanted a tarte tatin feel to it. 
- Bake until a tester comes out clean, about an hour and a half. 

* I had extra batter and apples and decided to bake them in a bread pan, which I then gave to the tall one. He calls it the apple brick. I didn't think the term brick was that appetizing, though it was very accurate. 

*I hummed this song the entire time I was writing this post. 

5 comments:

  1. Dear Julia Child, if there is such a thing as an after life and you're somehow able to hear me (read this) then please bless this girl with whatever it is you cooking gods bless people with because if you don't I will find your grave, dig you out and then proceed to burn your bones and shove it in a can of spam (also known as the greatest insult to a cooking god). I am currently writing this while listening to the song Vina was humming, and yes i will be humming it while I burn your bones.

    Yours trully, A simple foodie, Fábio.

    P.S- I truly admire your work, that Martha Stewart ho is an insult to your legacy.

    ReplyDelete