Saturday, October 24, 2009

The "Doesn't this smell like Popeye's coleslaw?" mustard slaw


Mustard slaw will go over nicely with those with an aversion to mayonnaise. It smells, I kid you not, just like Popeye's coleslaw. This recipe will make coleslaw for at least forty people. I know this because I had two large Ziplock bags full and we only went through half of one bag.

Ingredients:
2 heads of cabbage, cored and finely chopped. I used red and green.
1 green apple, peeled and finely chopped
3 carrots, peeled and grated.
1/2 cup of Dijon mustard
1/3 cup sugar
1/3 cup apple cider vinegar
1/3 cup vegetable oil
2 to 4 Tbsp. hot sauce
Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper

- In a bowl, whisk the Dijon with the sugar.
- Whisk in the vinegar.
- In a slow stream, whisk in the vegetable oil.
- Add the hot sauce and s&p. I added a good amount of pepper. Dressing should be highly seasoned.
- Add the cabbage, apple and carrots to the dressing and toss thoroughly. You can serve immediately but I find it better to let the slaw sit for at least six hours so the flavors could incorporate thoroughly.

1 comment:

  1. I love a good mustard slaw! THis one looks amazing. I make a a similar one but put fresh parsley and some dried oregano in there to.

    ReplyDelete