Wednesday, June 6, 2012

dolphins, croissants, and sunburns

 
 
 
 

This was the day that we drove to Delaware at three in the morning. We drove through a blanket of fog and I kept waiting for aliens or ghosts to appear in front of the car. A pod of dolphins swam by right when we stepped onto the beach. I didn't even know there were dolphins in Delaware. I fell asleep on an empty beach and woke up surrounded by hundreds of people. There were Bulgarian teenagers to our left and a family of drunken parents and Children of the Corn blonde children on our right. I was in the sun for twelve hours and got a small sunburn on my back, my first in over ten years. The French bakery with the cute boys and the buttery pastries happened to be closed that day. I brought three books, read one chapter of one of Anthony Bourdain's books, and promptly fell asleep. The beach umbrella was blue and you can now renew your parking via telephone. How thoughtful of them. Beach food is not vegetarian friendly. We ate dinner, actually our only legitimate meal of the day, at a place called Cilantro that featured fish tacos with a purple cabbage slaw and a waiter with a slight Spanish accent and long, dyed, and slightly curly hair. His name was Carlos but I like to think his drag name is Chi-Chi. 

Beach times equal fun times. Let's do it again. 

more photos on Flickr

No comments:

Post a Comment