Monday, January 14, 2013

An unproductive Sunday with Saturday's raspberry tart


I didn't do much today. I folded laundry. I napped. I read. Mostly, I ate. I ate praline ice cream directly out of the carton. I ate a banh mi sandwich while I watched Frasier on Netflix. I ate some of the raspberry-walnut tart that I made yesterday for Shirey's housewarming party. Well, technically, I ate some of the second raspberry-walnut tart that I made for Shirey's housewarming party, the one I made to make sure that it tasted alright before I presented it to strangers. 

Raspberry Walnut Tart, originally of Simply Recipes, via my kitchen soul mate

shortbread crust
1 1/2 c. flour
1/2 c. confectioner's sugar
1 1/2 sticks of butter

filling
10 oz. fresh raspberries
3/4 c. chopped walnuts (I kind of threw in a handful or two, which I'm sure amounts to more than 3/4 cups)
2 eggs
3/4 c. granulated sugar (the finished tart was a bit too sweet for me, so next time I'll reduce the amount of sugar)
1/4 c. flour
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. vanilla

Make crust: throw in crust ingredients into a food processor. Pulse until dough forms. Press dough into tart pan. The original recipe allowed for one tart. I halved the dough into two tarts and only had a shortbread bottom, as opposed to an outer/side crust. Bake in 350° oven for about 20 minutes, less if you're using a fluted French tart pan. Allow to cool for fifteen-twenty minutes. 

Assemble tart: Place walnuts and raspberries in evenly in tart dish. Since I made two tarts, the amount of raspberries in each tart was five ounces, and not the full ten like the original recipe. You know, in case you're wondering why my tart doesn't look as lush or red as the original recipe. Side note, I keep saying “original recipe,” and now I may or  may not want some fried chicken.

Make filling: Beat together the remaining ingredients until smooth, and pour into tart pan. The amount of egg mixture won't look like much, but it puffs up, I promise. This tart is basically a clafoutis and fruit tart in one. Boss. Bake for thirty-forty minutes, until the top is golden and the custard is set. Take a sharp knife and run it around the edges while it's still warm. This will help immensely when you want to remove it from the pan. Trust me, I know. I neglected to read this part, and watched people struggle to serve themselves. Strangers all thinking I don't know how to grease pans. Damn. 

“Let cool to room temperature to serve.” That is some balderdash, eat it while it's hot. You have vanilla ice cream and coffee? Well, alright, now you have a good time. 

You know what you should do after you eat? Nap. 

No comments:

Post a Comment