Sunday, January 6, 2013

pancakes and pink champagne


The first meal I ate in 2013 consisted of savory pancakes and pink champagne. Already this year is off to a good start. Well, aside for the fact that my 2012 recap video is going to be about two weeks late. Sorry.  

Side note, I love making pancakes, and am forever trying to create fancy schmancy “ooh, let me put ricotta in the batter” pancakes. Not that those are bad, they just don't have the simplicity of a fluffy pancake. Here is the recipe for fluffy pancakes. It's not just for you, this is also to serve as a personal reminder not to froufrou up pancakes. 

Basic (Though we shouldn't call them that, they are damn delicious) Pancake Batter
3/4 c. all-purpose flour 
1 c. cake flour (I ran out of APF. This worked out very nicely). 
1 Tbsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. kosher salt
1 1/2 c. milk
2 large eggs, room temp
3 Tbsp. vegetable oil (You can, of course, use butter.)
juice of half a lemon, or two tablespoons of white vinegar

Make buttermilk: Mix lemon juice with milk, and let sit for five minutes.

Combine dry ingredients in a large bowl. 

Whisk together wet ingredients in another bowl. 

Pour wet ingredients over dry ingredients. 

Whisk until just combined. (Translation: Don't you dare overmix the batter, fool. You want it lumpy.)

Make pancakes. I'm just going to pretend that you know how, so I do not have to continue this recipe. 

On a savory note, I topped these pancakes with smoked salmon, fresh dill, yogurt that I mixed with chopped scallions and red pepper flakes, capers, red onion, and thinly-sliced lemon. Hey, if the pancakes can't be fancy, then the toppings can. It was, after all, a brand new day in a brand new year. 

Happy 2013, everyone. I wish you only the very best.

No comments:

Post a Comment