Saturday, November 6, 2010

Foraging fun in the forest and flood plains

 
 
 
 
 
 
Yesterday afternoon, Liz, Justin and I trekked to Lovettsville for some forest foraging fun. Even though we had a late start (I overslept, Liz had to pack her gear, Justin was on time), we arrived at Suzanne's place just as everyone was setting off into the woods. I felt simultaneously like a hipster and a lumberjack in my red plaid shirt, all I needed was an ax and some PBR. Liz was hardcore with her hiking shoes and camelbak. Justin just looked urban.

We had to hop over cow pats through the pasture. Bill, our guide, pointed out various plants that Native Americans used for food or medicinal purposes. I somehow got Get Low stuck in my head and, to Justin's amusement, sang snippets as we crossed creeks and learned forestry. I found a single-horned deer skull and a square-shaped rock and carried them in my foraging basket for the rest of the day (Why is my basket so heavy?!). I learned that it is best to eat mushrooms that grow directly on trees and mushrooms with no stems. We came across a flood plain with black cows, wild carrots, and stinging nettles. It looked just like that scene in Jurassic Park when they were in that field when the Tyrannosaurus Rex comes terror-assing out of the trees. 

Anyway.

Bill led us to his place and allowed us free rein over his garden. His house was an eclectic mix of found objects, local art, and philosophy books. The man probably sits next to his fireplace at night reading Focault and Jung and drinking Rolling Rock beer. I scored horseradish root, mustard greens, arugula (oh, the arugula!), turnips, beets, Chinese mustard greens, green beans, one okra (not always a fan of the okra but I still wanted one), and some baby spinach. We get free produce, he gets people to thin out his garden. Win-win situation for all. 

The day ended with phenomenal kettle corn, apple cider, zucchini bread, and a tour of Suzanne's studio and stables. Sophie the horse gave me a kiss though I think she was just trying to nudge me out of the way. I passed out on the drive home. It was an excellent way to spend a November afternoon.

more photos of us doing outdoorsy things

1 comment: