Saturday, November 20, 2010

Just because I crawled out of a grave doesn't make me a frickin' zombie.



I had forgotten how awesome this movie is and I'm fairly sure I saw it with Natalie in theaters when we were nine years old. Well, when I was nine and she was eight.

Actors I didn't remember being in the movie because
a. they weren't famous yet and b. I was nine years old.:

  • Matthew McConaughey
  • Cloris Leachman
  • Philip Seymour Hoffman
  • Matthew Fox  
  • RenĂ©e Zellweger (IMDB claims this is unconfirmed. Looks like someone doesn't want people knowing she was in the movie!)
I prefer funny zombie to brain dead slow-walking zombie. Fast zombies are an abomination and are designed to freak you out in movies and video games. That's just mean.

and, after typing zombie three times, here's where I wondered where the term zombie came from:
According to the tenets of Vodou, a dead person can be revived by a bokor, or sorcerer. Zombies remain under the control of the bokor since they have no will of their own. "Zombi" is also another name of the Vodou snake lwa Damballah Wedo, of Niger-Congo origin; it is akin to the Kikongo word nzambi, which means "god". There also exists within the West African Vodun tradition the zombi astral, which is a part of the human soul that is captured by a bokor and used to enhance the bokor's power. The zombi astral is typically kept inside a bottle which the bokor can sell to clients for luck, healing or business success. It is believed that after a time God will take the soul back and so the zombi is a temporary spiritual entity.[2] It is also said in vodou legend, that feeding a zombie salt will make it return to the grave.
Thanks, Wikipedia!

Update: If you watch the end of this movie and see the part where she opens the locket (that miraculously stopped a bullet) to find a photo of them as kids, please tell me if you also thought that was a cute and creeper move.

No comments:

Post a Comment