Monday, August 16, 2010

Saying farewell to my road dog


+ Springsteen dancefests. Sean trying to dance the robot.
+ multiple peach desserts and a big wedge of brie
+ four kinds of potato salad! I only liked the red potato one.
+ my Floating Lab Collective brethren!
+ Turner ranting about hipsters in society. Whatever, cuffed jeans. 
+ jealousy over Sean's sweet digs. I want river rock built into my floor!
+ pointedly not looking at Justin whenever something stupid or crazy has been uttered. They always catch us now. 

Turner: Bocce is the same as marbles but with bigger balls.

Sean: Man, I love having everyone over. 
Kiley: I love too! Wait, I mean I love seeing everyone. Are you laughing at me, vina? Don't laugh at me!
me: Don't forget key words in your sentences and I'll stop laughing.

Oh, DD. I'll miss you. Who's going to keep me updated on FLC meetings, projects we are doing, which countries have invited us to participate in whatever art festivals, the mechanics behind complicated audio-visual projections¹, and tell me who's who during bigwig art functions? Who else will get drunk and give me graphic design pep talks² at four in the morning? Whose abnormally pale and freckled body will I tease now? Who else will make a video of himself sleeping that makes me feel like a total creeper? Every time, man. Every time. Who's going to make the puppy dog face when I tell him I'm not traveling to Detroit (or wherever) and sleeping in an abandoned train station (Angela: I'm not trying to get raped by rats!)? Who's going to make me jealous when he tells me he tried Jose Andres's chef's menu and met the editor of Gourmet Magazine? Snap, you were the only one who didn't think I was crazy when I gushed about the tongue tacos from Centrico. I need more meat-eating foodie friends, stat! (I love you, my multiple vegetarian friends but damn — we can't talk about bacon!) Where will I get unconventional cookbooks? Who will teach me how to ride chopper bikes? Oh, no! How will Blake function without you? Who's going to ride the giant seesaw with him³?! Most importantly, who will be the resident fedora-wearer?

Happy trails, my road dog. Have fun dealing with the Minnesota nice.   Best wishes MFA-ing it up. (Here's where I realized that I don't even know his concentration. Experimental social art practices? Something like that. You know, Daniel Deanness.)
 ______________
¹ Hey vina, check this out: we're going to make a paper city and project video on it - like a smaller version of Wodiczko!
² vinaaaaaaaaaa, why don't you design more things for Floating Lab? Your work is sooo good; I tell everyone. You should design something. I'll always back you up. (Oh, man. I just made myself a little verklempt. This is the end of an era.)
³ I hate that damn thing. I trip over it constantly. Hello, lumber for new planters!

No comments:

Post a Comment