Sunday, September 19, 2010

“The world is lazy but you and me —  we're just crazy.”

When I'm With You | Best Coast


What we ate at Ping Pong Dim Sum in Chinatown, DC
(descriptions lifted from their website)

 me
- chive dumplings: king prawns and chives in green chive pastry
- pork puff: honey-roasted pork and caramelized onions in handmade puff pastry
- prawn toast: prawn on toast flavored with garlic and coriander sprinkled with sesame seeds
- Ping Pong: Martini Bianco, white wine, Yokaichi Shochu and lychee juice

Justin
- vegetable puff: sautéed vegetables in a honey sauce in handmade puff pastry
- rice parcel: rice with fresh vegetables seasoned with garlic wrapped in a Lotus leaf
- vegetable spring roll: finely-chopped vegetables and fresh basil wrapped in wheat flour pastry, served with sweet and sour sauce
- I don't remember the name of his drink but it was basically alcoholic lemonade.
I love lemonade!

Normally I'm not one for fake-me-out Chinese food (cough-American palate-cough), especially dim sum, but I wasn't disappointed at Ping Pong. Yeah, it may not be authentic but it was tasty. As for their signature cocktail, I didn't taste anything but lychee juice. Shoot, you might as well drink the syrup from a can of lychees. Then again for happy hour prices ($3 a plate, $5 cocktail, 4-7 PM), I can't complain too much.

Recap of the rest of the evening: 
- These heels are killing me but my calves look fantastic so I will suffer a little longer.
- Damn roundabouts (Good job, founding fathers, commissioning a Frenchman to design the city). 
- Building the National Cathedral started in 1907 and ended 1990. 
- Enrique Iglesias sampled Lionel Richie, whaaaat.
- So many Germans here! Oh yeah, it's German art.
- This cake is amazing. Apple streudel too!? You go, caterers!
- “I feel like we should look at the art.” “Why? We stared at it for eight hours when we were hanging it.”
- Let's go look at pretty houses! Oooh! We love red brick! We should be neighbors!

No comments:

Post a Comment